The POP Safe Car Park (SCP) Pilot program will open this June 1. While we are working to get support within our community, we will not be advertising this SCP until our one year pilot is completed successfully.
We have continued to make good progress on all fronts. Some examples;
1. We’ve met with and received strong support from the Saratoga Ministerium and Saratoga City Council.
2. We have firm commitments from two case management organizations (Amigos de Guadalupe and West Valley Community Services) who will screen and refer those who qualify to our SCP.
3. We continue to get a strong interest and commitments from partners to participate by hosting and/or providing volunteers in this rotating SCP. (Beth David Synagogue, Sacred Heart, West Valley College, St. Andrews, St. Judes and others not yet finalized.)
As a reminder:
1. In May we will be reaching out to those who have shown interest and will confirm volunteer commitments, dates, assignments, etc.
2. Also in May, we will be holding evening orientation sessions currently scheduled for May 24 & 29, to introduce our volunteers to the rules and responsibilities of running the POP SCP.
As always, if you have any questions, concerns and/or recommendations please don't hesitate to contact members of the leadership team (Norman Puck, Jim Wilczak, Karen Hauschildt, Bill Eklow and Pastor Sara.)
Karen Hauschildt, Norman Puck, Yvonne Strom, Jim Wilczak, Pastor Sara Pearson
Amigos de Guadalupe
Rotating Safe Car Park is safe for those that participate because everyone in the "shelter" is screened by a social service agency. Not everyone is a good fit for a group location. Those who do not pass the screening are referred to other social services.
Community Service Agencies
Links and Articles of Interest
$50 million donation to homeless initiatives
Step up Silicon Valley
Video of Poverty Simulation: Moreland School District
Homeless in Silicon Valley Blog & Resource Page
SPUR Housing Policy (SF Bay Area Planning and Urban Research Association)